Thursday 26 September 2013

Perdue en Provence

Apologies in advance for how sickeningly smug this article is. As I stepped off my sleazy-jet flight and onto French soil I took in a deep breath and said to myself: this is it. A year in France. Toute seule. Stay calm – just think of the cheese. A month in, I can say with certainty that I had nothing to be afraid of and hyperventilating on my plane over to Aix-en-Provence was a wasted effort and hardly a glamorous entrance.

This trip has been seamless since the first day, my French colocataire , Charlotte, who drives a small red Peugot, of course - how French - was waiting for me in the arrivals lounge with a smile that stretched from ear to ear and a never ending supply of ice breakers and anecdotes for the short journey to our apartment. Ok, I admit it, I didn’t get everything she was saying (understanding French whilst appearing totally blasé is quite a feat) but I nodded and smiled in the right places and that’s the basis of a long and prosperous friendship, no?  

Thirty minutes later, Charlotte flings open the door of our apartment in Aix. “Welcome to France!” She grins, reaching for a bottle of Bergerac’s finest vin rouge out of the cupboard. I let out a sigh of relief. To my delight I see that my room is even better than it looked on appartager.fr and certainly a step up from my student house in Liverpool last year, in which the living conditions were barely at a legal standard. My room has plenty of space for activities and my window (clad with shutters!) leads out onto the roof terrace, prime location for sitting with a copy of French Elle, sipping on an espresso and other similarly pretentious things.

Our landlady, Mme Gaufrès (Mrs Waffles in English) is there to meet us with an inventory the length of my leg which I have to pretend I understand, sign and return in one hand and a petit camembert in the other. Kidding, my mind just drifted to cheese related thoughts mid-sentence, really not socially acceptable. I spend the rest of the afternoon taking generic snaps of fountains in Aix – of which there are a lot – and then share a dinner in town with Charlotte during which we discover our mutual love of food and charming French waiters.

And so student life in Aix-en-Provence begins. The bad news is French paperwork is endless and soul destroying, toilets are unisex and the building is falling apart. (There are literally debris nets on every wall of the faculté to stop unsuspecting students being flattened by falling chunks of cement.) The good news is that Erasmus students have very little contact hours, receive a pretty generous grant and most of us just have to pass the year without worrying about it contributing to our final grade. One of my teachers is a tiny yet impressively muscly (she definitely does lift bro) femme du sud. She is typically Aixois: she oozes elegance and has leathery golden skin from years of sun exposure beautifully contrasted by a white linen ensemble, the unspoken dress code of Aix. One of my classmates succinctly described her as a MILF. I refuse to elaborate.

Erasmus students, myself included, are comparable to sheep, following the infamous “Organisator” to and from clubs with names like the Wohoo – true, Aix isn’t renowned for its buzzing nightlife but Marseille, host to music festival Marsatac, is just down the road. The “Organisator” prowls the Erasmus page on Facebook and as intimidating and robotic as he may sound, I had the good fortune of learning that he really has a heart of gold: on our first meeting he declared his undying love for me “you make my heartbeat fast ma belle let me take you to breakfast!”

The big question: will this year improve my French language? It’s safe to say it can’t get much worse: since being here I have realised, a little too late, that no one has said sacre bleu since the early 20th century and that “je joue au foot avec mes copains” is both untrue and unsophisticated.

So far, it’s like a holiday and I feel like I am about to embark on one of the best adventures of my life: C’est la vie has never rang so true… I have a roof terrace, St Tropez is a short ride away on the TGV and I can buy a wheel of brie the size of my face for less than 2euro at the local fromagerie. If everything continues to go perfectly, I will acquire an amour francais, a blue Vespa to take me to the fromagerie and back quicker than you can say Jacques' your uncle, utter fluency in French and bo-bo (Bourgeois bohème) status.  However, there’s a little voice in the back of my head saying that in reality, I will probably finish this year with a mediocre level of franglais and a larger jean size courtesy of fromage indulgence. Either way, as Edith Piaf would have said: Je ne regrette rien.


No comments:

Post a Comment